by Debra Kirkham
Once upon a time the centerpiece of a table was a large loaf of bread. The beauty was in the strong and perfect reason why everyone at the table was to break off small bite-size pieces. The purpose for this was not to waste a single crumb, for when one would take a small piece from the loaf to one’s plate none was wasted from the main loaf which was given to the poor.
- With your fingers, break a small bite size piece from your bread
- Use your butter knife to butter your bite size piece (if butter is desired)
- Do not pick up bread and bite off a piece
- Do not cut your bread (roll or smaller piece of bread) with a knife
- Do not butter your whole piece of bread